What is Prolozone Therapy?
Prolozone therapy is a Regenerative interventional pain management technique which combines the principles of Prolotherapy & Medical Ozone therapy. It is a minimally invasive procedure that involves the injection of certain tissue proliferant medicines, some homeopathic medicines and medical grade Oxygen-Ozone mixture in to degenerated or injured joints, tendons, ligaments and the areas of pain. This causes the affected tissues to regenerate and gain strength which in turn causes an improvement or disappearance of symptoms.
Role of Medical Grade Oxygen Ozone
Medical Ozone is the highly active form of oxygen consisting of three atoms of oxygen. Prolozone therapy uses this power of Ozone & Oxygen to quickly repair, heal, regenerate and strengthen the damaged joints, ligaments and tendons. When tissue proliferant solutions and medical oxygen ozone is injected in & around a joint, it is able to stimulate the joint repairing abilities & the resultant increased blood flow will bring nutrients, fibroblasts, osteoblasts & chondroblasts to facilitate the repair process & to eliminate lactic acidosis (a major cause of pain).
Prolozone is derived from the word ozone and the Latin word “proli” (proliferation) which means to regenerate or re-build, because the treatment causes the proliferation (growth, formation) of new tissue in areas where it has become weak. It literally means re-building tissues with ozone. Prolozone Therapy developed & pioneered by Dr. Frank Shallenberger who is the leading expert in the medical use of ozone in the United States. Prolozone is currently used in U.S.A and Europe and is gradually spreading to many other nations.
What is Prolozone Therapy?
You can think of your joints as the hinge on a door. Until the hinge is fixed the door just isnt going to open or close. The same happens with joints. When you start just getting older, there is some gradual and natural degeneration of the moving parts of the body due to ongoing recurrent mechanical stress & failure of tissues to repair themselves. This can come from lack of nutrients, lack of circulation, aging and inflammation. When this happens, the Connective tissue (includes the cartilage, ligaments & tendons that cushion &/or stabilize & support the joints) become dehydrated and weak. This results in laxity and adds to abnormal mechanical stress and shearing forces on the joint & results in more joint dysfunction causing further abnormal stress, laxity of ligaments and degeneration. The degenerated tissues lack proper circulation and therefore non-availability of Oxygen and other nutrients leading to excessive local accumulation of lactic acid which causes PAIN.
How Does it Work?
• Prolozone causes repair and tightening of the lax structures.
• Prolozone halts the pain/inflammation cycle. This allows for better circulation, increased blood flow carrying nutrition & hydration of the damaged tissues to develop healing environment within the joint and results in increased range of motion & decreased pain.
• One of the reasons for joint pain is osteoarthritis, which causes the cartilage in joints to degenerate & wear away due to which, the bones forming the joint, begin to rub against each other which results in pain, inflammation & loss of mobility. Osteoarthritis commonly affects the hands, knees, hips, feet & spine. Since Prolozone Therapy results in cartilage regeneration, the treatment is very effective in Osteoarthritis.
• Prolozone stimulates the release of growth factors and formation of new collagen in the affected area. More importantly, it stimulates the deposition and activity of fibroblasts, osteoblast & chondroblasts. The prefix "prolo" refers to this stage of new tissue growth or "proliferation." As the body forms new collagen, the treated ligaments and tendons become thicker and stronger and more capable of doing their work. Proper alignment, stability, and function are restored, and typically the pain subsides.
What Conditions are Treated with Prolozone?
SubmitNECK PAIN : Disc Problems, Whiplash Injury causing Cervical Instability, Spondylosis, PIVD, Chronic Muscle Spasms, Headaches etc SHOULDER PAIN : Labral Tears, Rotator Cuff Injuries, Frozen Shoulder, Bursitis, Tendinitis, Impingement Syndrome etc ELBOW PAIN : Tennis/Golfers Elbow, Tendinitis, Osteoarthritis, Strains, Sprains, Bursitis etc WRIST PAIN : Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Overuse Injuries, Sports Injuries, Strains, Sprains, Tendinitis, Bursitis, De Quervains Disease etc BACK PAIN : Slip Disc (Herniated Disc), PIVD, Sciatica, Spondylosis (Spinal Arthritis), Ankylosing Spondylitis, Sacroilitis, Post Back Surgery Pain, Alternative to Laminectomy etc. KNEE PAIN : Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Meniscus injury, Chondromalacia Patella, ACL/MCL Tears etc HIP PAIN : Degenerative Joint Disease, Labral Tears, Arthritis, Avascular Necrosis, Bursitis etc ANKLE & FOOT PAIN : Strains, Sprains, Chronic Ankle Instability, Plantar Fascitis, Heel Spurs, Mortons Neuroma, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, Achilles Tendinitis etc OTHERS : TMJ Pain, Synovitis, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS, RSD), Congenital Hypermobility Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Piriformis Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Gout etc
Prolozone for Injured and Osteoarthritic Joints
There is no need to suffer any longer. We can help. Soft tissue injury or overall joint weakness can lead to degenerative joint conditions like arthritis. Often times when a ligaments and tendons are injured or weakened by use, the other structures of the joint sustain added pressure. Eventually these structures become fatigued and the cartilage begins to deteriorate. Chronic joint pain is either due to loss of cartilage, or laxity of the connective tissue (tendons/ligaments).Medical Oxygen Ozone Healing Therapy and Prolozone Therapy are the treatments that promote healing of the affected joint by stimulating new collagen production, which builds new cartilage, strengthens tendons and ligaments, and reverses osteoarthritis.SubmitProlozone therapy can stop this deterioration and eliminate pain. Prolozone therapy treats the cause of the arthritic process so you can get back to living pain free. Up to 98% of ligament injuries in and around the knee joint are partial tears only, therefore before going for surgery, it is better to try Prolozone treatment as an alternative. Prolozone therapy will begin collagen formation both outside and inside the knee joint depending on the structure(s) that are treated. Prolozone therapy stimulates the body to heal itself. Surgery in the knee is appropriate when the ligament is completely torn, such as would occur in a high velocity injury.
- • Has analgesic & anti-inflammatory action
- • Activates anti-oxidant enzymes in body (detoxification)
- • Inactivates bacteria, viruses, fungi & protozoa
- • Activates immune system
- • Activates cellular metabolism
- • Enhances blood circulation & tissue oxygenation
- • Promotes healing of tissues & strengthens the ligaments & tendons
- • Activates the formation of biologically active substances
- • Oxidizes arterial plaque
- • Safe, simple & quick procedure
- • Affordable OPD treatment
- • Absence of any significant side effects
- • Reduces the requirement of pain killers
- • Avoids or postpones expensive joint replacement surgery
- • No additional procedure related pain during treatment
- • Especially suited to patients who are medically unfit for surgery
- • Up to 80% patients can have good to excellent relief in symptoms
- • Good tolerance by patients
Is Prolozone Safe?
This is an extremely safe treatment. Results of procedure depend up on healing ability of the patient also. Few patients may have some soreness at the injection site that occurs for a day or two after the treatment.
How Many Treatment Sessions are Needed?
The number of treatment sessions varies from patient to patient. There are many factors that can contribute to one patient healing faster than another. The age and the severity of the injury will affect the number of treatments required. Most patients experience a positive result after the first few treatments and continue to improve after every session. Generally 3-5 sessions are required, however some patients may need up to 6-7 sessions for full achievable results